Monday, June 20, 2011

Grueling, but pressing toward the goal

          We just came off a LONG night.  Those that were not sleeping started their shift at 10:00PM  last night......they were either driving, navigating, cycling or cooking.  What was supposed to be a 6 hour shift quickly became a nine hour shift.  Two of the riders (Scott and Doug) had just come off an 8 hour shift, so basically they were on the road for 17 hours!  Yikes!!!!  They are sleeping now, or so we hope.  Sleeping in a moving motorhome takes raw talent.  I personally have not mastered that one.  


     Unfortunately, our minds don't always function properly when staying up all night.  At one point Dan asked me if I realized that what I was saying was not making any sense.  I assured him that it made perfect sense in my head, but unfortunately my words were not matching my thought pattern.  Hmmmmm Also, a rush of adrenaline in the middle of the night isn't always beneficial.  Dan almost lost his foot, due to me (Celeste) trying to beat another team and driving off before he could get his whole body in the car.  (Jan, I assure you he is fine, but I apologize if he has a permanent bruise or limp) 


      In case you weren't aware there are 13 eight man teams.  Last night before we started our shift, we were dead last.  If you know any of these gentlemen very well, you know that doesn't sit comfortably with them.  Sometime around 3:30am we had the 8 man Ireland team in sight......Bob Roach took it upon himself to take them out:-)  And that he did.  The problem came when the boys fell asleep along the road and didn't notice Bob pull up to make an exchange.....that's when the adrenaline rush came.  We were trying to change drivers in the follow vehicle and also contact the team to hurry up and relieve Bob without losing our advantage.  So, I got a little excited and forgot to let Dan into the car.....yes, I have a few competitive juices running through these veins:-)  Dan  is fine and I am pretty sure he has forgiven me......trust may be another issue.  


     Keeping awake was REALLY hard, especially right before sunrise.  Dan and I were seriously fighting the fatigue!  The only picture I took during that 9 hour shift was one who didn't fight the fatigue with success.......


     Our riders are doing amazingly well! They have had to put up with really tough climbs, hot and cold temperatures, outdoor bathroom stops, extreme fatigue, muscle cramps......etc.  They are truly champs!  They continue to have great attitudes even when things get tough.  







5 comments:

Cheralyn Nichols said...

awesome!!! Sorry for the grueling night though. I was up praying at some point. So glad Robbie can still sleep anywhere and in any position:)

Sarah said...

Celeste I can hear your voice while reading the post. Praying you all get some rest!!! the crew too!

Unknown said...

Cheralyn, me too!! About 3:40 a.m....Robby is one that the guys wish they could sleep like!!!!

carol s said...

Wow, Robbie is there as well? I had no idea he'd be part of the mix this time. What a trip. Grueling is the fun part, right?? It builds bare chests :-)

kathy said...

Wow! God's country is Beautiful. You guys are awesome. Keep the pictures coming. Praying for your safety...